Monday, January 10, 2011

John 7 - How do I see things

Today as I read John 7 I was reminded about the very name of this blog "Sabbath Moments" and was challenged about what I consider appropriate for "sabbath".  Here in Verses 22 to 24 Jesus gives a challenge about the sabbath and circumcision.  His point was that these same people that were really upset that Jesus had healed a man on the sabbath would circumcise on the sabbath if that was the day required by the law.  Jesus reveals here a hypocrisy. 


We could spend our time here talking about Creation ordinances, Abrahamic institutions and the Law of Moses and then the corruption of the way that the law had been used.  But I do not feel we need to in order to understand Jesus teaching for the heart today.  it is summed up in Jesus words "Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment".  I have been challenged to look at the heart of the matter not the outward first glance.  Jesus challenge to me here is to not get so tangled up in the strict implementation of the law that we miss the purpose of God.  


Do I fall to this?  Maybe at times I do?  Which is more important?  Helping people find freedom from the sin that binds us or making sure we structure our Church services to include all the things to keep the congregation happy?  Should it matter if some of my brothers are forced to work on Sunday when I "work" every Sunday?  Just like I challenge those shift workers to take a day of sabbath, shouldn't I do that same?  Is it more important for us to sit at home in the quiet of the early morning with our Bibles and prayer time or for us to share the scriptures and pray for people through out our day out in the community with people who need what we have been given.  


I am challenged, not to change everything, but to live with a desire to see things the way Jesus does.  To do things that give God the glory and fulfill the mission He has given us.  Lord help me to not get wrapped up in the requirements of my own tradition where things may all "look right" on the outside.  Instead Lord, help me to live out the calling you have given and that I would take seriously the "heart" of the matter. 


Let's all fight our inner hypocrisy and see to live in surrendered humility to our Lord.  May His eyes be in use in us and not our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment