Thursday, January 6, 2011

John 5 - Jesus the Judge

As I read John 5 today I was reminded of the joy we are to have as Christians that Jesus our Lord is also the Judge.  In Verse 22 we are told that the Father has given all judgement to the Son.  Jesus is the Judge, the one who will decide our eternal fate, the one who can cast people to eternal punishment.  What an awesome thought.  I ask myself the question today "When was the last time I praised God for His judgement?".  You may think that is a crazy concept but I really believe that we are to praise God for all His attributes and ways.  I need to praise God as the righteous judge who will bring all who are sinful, all evil doers, to justice.  No one will escape His judgement and the punishment given.  There are no loop holes or technicalities to get freed by.

Some may think I am sounding hopeless, but wait, there is more.  This same Judge named Jesus also says in verse 24 that whoever hears His words and believes the Father who sent Him will not receive judgement.  What?  I thought I just said that no one will escape?  It is true, because the very judge who is to pass sentence on us, this same Jesus, paid the penalty already for us with His death on the cross.  Jesus judges us guilty, sentences us to punishment and death, then pays the penalty for us and pronounces our debt paid in full.

We can continue to praise Him because it does not stop there, not only are we free from the judgement but the Judge then also brings us home and accepts us as family.  We receive all the blessings of being a child of the King of Kings.  This Jesus is no mere teacher or prophet, He is God, He is the righteous Judge of the universe, He is the one who passes sentence and pronounces eternal judgement.  Yet He is also the one Savior who takes our place in punishment so that we can be transformed and made new.

Worship this Mighty Jesus the Judge today!

No comments:

Post a Comment