Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cast your cares on the Lord

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  -  1 Peter 5:6-7 (NIV)


As we take some time to spend in the Presence of God we are called to seek humility and remember God's strength and great mercy.  It is He who is our strength and the one who sustains us.  When we are down and it seems like there is little hope, He can lift us up.  We are to trust Him above all else.  Cast off your anxiety and cares and fully trust the Lord.  Our worries are not healthy for us to carry, we are to release them to God.  He is more than able to handle them than we will ever be.


If we trust the Lord like we should, then we need to continually be handing off our care, anxiety and what not.  It is hard, life can be intimidating, yet we are called to trust in Him fully.


As I ponder this passage I am challenged about walking by faith.  It is easy to say but harder to do.  I always want to find my way out, to take care of things, to fix things.  Often though I believe God wants me to rest more in Him and His great love.  This is why we are called to sabbath, it represents our need for God to care for us and our lives.  It is a time for us to rest and worship. It represents that we live for God and to serve Him and honor Him.


I want to challenge you to make a point of taking a day of rest, you may feel too busy and stressed, but the busy things and the stress points will not go away because you try to do more.  God is our only answer to these things.


The choice to follow God's directive for rest and casting off our cares is ours to make.  I would rather break my selfish driven habits of trying to achieve and instead open myself up to God and His work in my life.   Choose today how you will live, for yourself or for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment