Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Our Witness

As I sit here in the dark of the morning, I am pondering the following passage from Acts chapter 1, it is verses 6 through 11 from the ESV version of the Bible.
6 So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?"7 He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."9 And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight.10 And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes,11 and said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven."
The Apostles were still struggling with what Jesus mission was about.  They were still concerned about a restoration of the physical Israel, and not understanding that the risen Jesus was about to bring into existence something far greater, the Church, His Body, His Family, His "spiritual" people.  So Jesus reminds them that the Holy Spirit will come and then they will bear witness to Him and the Gospel that Jesus was all about.  


I wonder if sometimes I am like those Apostles, I fail to see and understand the Mission that Jesus has given us and instead look for Jesus to repair the earthly situations that are messed up.  Sure He can fix these things, and sometimes does, yet really our calling as Christians or "Christ Followers" is about our "witness".  We have a Gospel oriented spiritual mission that we have been given.  I ask myself if I am being responsible with this Mission?
Repentantly I sit and recognize that often I am busy with many other things and neglect the witness about the Gospel of Jesus.  I seem to get busy doing "good" things, and yet can miss the opportunities to witness.   


Oh Lord Jesus, forgive me for my lack of witness about you and help me to be the witness that you have called, enabled and made me to be.  Lord that I would be a living example of your work as well as one who shares verbally the message of the Gospel.  Lord that you would be honored with my life, I offer what I have to you Lord, take and use it all for the Glory of You and the growth of your Kingdom.


In Your service Jesus, Amen.


Preacherman

No comments:

Post a Comment